It can be extremely difficult to manage the physical and financial effects of a spinal cord injury. If you sustained this injury from someone else’s negligence, you should seek your much-needed compensation from the at-fault party. A successful personal injury claim can relieve your monetary burden and help you access high-quality care for your post-injury life.
In the Inland Empire, claiming for a spinal cord injury is often challenging, but Gavel Law Firm can help you. Our spinal cord injury attorney has maximized compensation for many clients in the Riverside area. See what we can do for you. Get a free consultation with Gavel Law Firm at (951) 289-0202.
Top-Choice Lawyer for Spinal Injury Claims: Gavel Law Firm
More and more Inland Empire residents now trust Gavel Law Firm for their catastrophic injury claims such as for spinal injury. Here’s why:
- Advantageous experience. We have previously worked in the insurance industry, which gave us insider insights on how injury claims really work. We now use this to boost our clients’ claims for full compensation.
- Sincere care for clients. You shouldn’t have to endure additional stress after a serious injury. At Gavel Law Firm, you’ll get kind treatment from lawyers and office staff. We’ll constantly communicate with you and give you clear answers. We’ll also connect you with our network of medical and rehabilitative professionals as the need arises.
- You don’t pay until you win. Because we understand the huge cost of a spine injury, we won’t charge you lawyer fees until we win compensation on your behalf. We won’t even charge for your initial consultation at all. With Gavel Law Firm, you get top-notch legal service without risking your hard-earned money.
Facing the Insurer in a Spinal Cord Injury Claim
The biggest challenge in your spinal injury claim is facing the insurance company. Because spinal cord injuries involve massive costs and a lifetime of care, insurers often try to dispute such claims and minimize the amount they have to pay. Sadly, many claimants receive a much lower amount than they deserve because they can’t effectively counter experienced insurance adjusters.
Gavel Law Firm knows this because we have previous experience working for the insurer’s side. We know first-hand their methods of downplaying claims and outmaneuvering claimants. Now that we are fully committed to helping the injured, we use this inside knowledge to tactically negotiate with insurers and secure our clients’ full compensation.
For a substantial claim like spinal cord injury, you’ll want an attorney who’s deeply experienced and strategically assertive. You’ll find this spinal injury lawyer at Gavel Law Firm.
Spinal Cord Injuries in Inland Empire, California
Injuries to the spinal cord aren’t just ordinary back injuries. The spinal cord is a crucial bundle of nerves inside the spine that are responsible for relaying signals from the brain to the rest of the body and vice versa. Damage to the spinal cord results in significant limitations to certain body parts, and severe spinal cord damage can lead to paralysis. Here are examples of spinal cord injury effects:
- Bladder and bowel dysfunction
- Breathing problems
- Heart rate issues
- Metabolism problems
- Poor or missing reflexes
- Strange sensations
- Paraplegia – paralysis of both legs
- Tetraplegia/Quadriplegia – paralysis of all arms and legs.
According to the latest data from the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), 18,000 new cases of traumatic spinal cord injury occur in the US each year. That totals around 302,000 people in the US living with a traumatic spinal cord injury as of 2022.
Top Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
The NSCISC reports the following as the leading causes of traumatic spinal cord injuries as of 2022:
- Motor vehicle accidents – 37.6 percent of traumatic spinal injuries
- Falls – 31.5 percent of traumatic spinal injuries
- Violence – 15.4 percent of traumatic spinal injuries
- Sports – 8.3 percent of traumatic spinal injuries
- Medical or surgical incidents – 3.6 percent of traumatic spinal injuries.
Compensation in a Riverside Spinal Injury Claim
An effective spinal injury claim in Southern California should compensate you for economic (monetary) and non-economic (non-monetary) losses. These may include:
- Medical bills (past, present, and future) – emergency services, diagnostic tests and imaging, doctors’ fees, hospital bills, surgeries, medication, and the like
- Rehabilitative costs – physical therapy or occupational therapy, for example
- Long-term disability needs – wheelchairs, home modifications, at-home care, vehicle modifications, and the like
- Lost income – earnings you’ve missed and may continue to miss
- Pain and suffering – the level of pain and discomfort due to your injury
- Psychological distress – examples are anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The true extent of your case doesn’t just stop at financial losses. At Gavel Law Firm, we explore the many ways your spinal injury can affect you, including your quality of life, emotional wellness, and relationships with loved ones. We strive to get you compensated across various areas of your life. We’re tenacious when dealing with insurance companies, and unafraid to pursue a lawsuit on your behalf if necessary.
Riverside Spinal Cord Injury FAQs
How much compensation will I get for a spinal injury?
Your spinal injury compensation depends on the many factors in your case, such as the severity of the injury, how long you’ll be disabled, and the circumstances around your accident.
Spinal cord claim outcomes are often substantial. While some spinal cord settlements exceed $1 million, many settle at six figures. However, these are not considered benchmarks for how your specific case will turn out. Each case must be assessed by a personal injury lawyer.
Can I claim on behalf of my loved one with a spinal cord injury in California?
Yes, it’s possible to file a spinal injury lawsuit in California on behalf of an injured family member if that person is unable to claim for themselves. It could be due to a cognitive limitation or brain injury, for example.
Likewise, if your loved one tragically died of their injuries, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If successful, this can compensate you for losses such as funeral and burial expenses, lost earnings, and lost companionship.
In either case, it’s best to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer to determine your best legal avenues. Gavel Law Firm can provide sound legal guidance whether you’re claiming on behalf of a paralyzed loved one or seeking wrongful death compensation.
What is the average life expectancy for spinal cord injury?
According to the 2022 report of the NSCISC, these are the life expectancies based on the age when the spinal cord injury occurred:
- 20 years old – 29.7 to 42.7 years if they have some paralysis; 8.6 to 15.5 years if they are ventilator-dependent
- 40 years old – 18.6 to 28.2 years if they have some paralysis; 7.3 to 11.8 years if they are ventilator-dependent
- 60 years old – 10.1 to 15.5 years if they have some paralysis; 3.2 to 7.3 years if they are ventilator-dependent.
What is the lifetime cost of a spinal cord injury in the US?
The NSCISC lists the following lifetime cost for an average 25-year-old person living with a spinal cord injury in the US, as of 2022:
- With high tetraplegia – $5.8 million
- With low tetraplegia – $4.3 million
- With paraplegia – $2.9 million
- With motor function – $2 million.
Note that these are only average numbers. Lifetime costs can be much greater the more severe the injury is and the wider its impact. For instance, we’ve assisted Riverside families whose primary earners got seriously injured. Such an injury represents losses not just for the victims but for their dependents as well.
Contact a Riverside Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer from Gavel Law Firm
When much-needed compensation is on the line, entrust your case to a highly capable attorney. Gavel Law Firm is well-equipped to handle your spinal injury case. We’ll pour our experience, skills, and tireless work to help you get the remuneration you need and deserve.
Let’s start by talking about your spinal cord injury. Your consultation is free. Call Gavel Law Firm now at (951) 289-0202.