Too many negligent motorists cause car accidents in Riverside, California. What’s worse is, those who are injured in these crashes find it extremely difficult to claim their fair compensation. They face insurance denials or low-ball offers, and filing a personal injury lawsuit can be additionally complex for them as they deal with post-accident life.
This is why it’s crucial to have an experienced car accident attorney on your side. For your Riverside auto collision claim, contact Gavel Law Firm. Our lead attorney Bryan A. Mason has experience in the insurance industry and now brings that experience as an advantage for his injured clients.
With this sharp legal representation and our sincere care for clients, Gavel Law Firm has earned the trust of Inland Empire residents. Consult with us for free. Call (951) 289-0202 today.
Riverside Car Crashes: Statistics and What They Mean
Thousands of car accidents occur in the Riverside area each year, resulting in numerous injuries and deaths. In 2020 alone, 12,257 people were either injured or killed in car accidents in Riverside County, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety. That’s about 34 accident victims every single day.
These numbers are not just statistics. Every injured victim suffers pain, income loss, and a mountain of medical expenses. Meanwhile, families of those who died are left bereaved with the irreplaceable loss of their loved ones.
Many of these losses are caused by careless or reckless drivers. Of all the serious crashes in Riverside County in 2020, some 1,484 involved alcohol, 2,613 were speed-related, and 839 were hit-and-runs. This highlights the need for more responsible driving in the area. It should also prompt accident victims or their families to seek justice against negligent parties who have caused them harm.
Riverside’s Dangerous Roads
Where do car collisions commonly occur in Riverside County? Residents and traffic officials alike have observed a higher number of serious collisions on the following roads and highways:
- Arlington Avenue, Riverside (City)
- Van Buren Boulevard, Riverside (City)
- Victoria Avenue, Riverside (City)
- Magnolia Avenue, Riverside (City)
- Ramona Expressway, Riverside County
- State Route 74, Riverside County
- Ortega Highway, Riverside County.
Certain streets and intersections can be more prone to accidents due to various factors. Some lack traffic lights or signage, resulting in unregulated traffic. Other roads invite high speeds, while still others are poorly designed in terms of usability and safety.
Causes of Car Accidents in Riverside
In Riverside and elsewhere, these are the most common causes of auto accidents:
- Speeding/Driving too fast for conditions
- Drunk-driving/Driving while impaired
- Distracted driving
- Running a red light
- Following too closely (tailgating)
- Inclement weather
- Road hazards/Unsafe road design
- Defective or malfunctioning car.
If you’ve been in a Riverside collision but are unsure how it occurred, speak to us at Gavel Law Firm. When we take on your case, we’ll use our extensive knowledge and resources to investigate the crash, gather evidence, and build your claim.
We’re ready to help whether it’s any of these car accident types:
- Rear-end collision
- Head-on crash
- T-bone accident
- Single-vehicle crash
- Multi-vehicle pileup
- Car vs. truck crash
- Car vs. bike crash
- Faulty car parts accident
- Car accident resulting in your loved one’s wrongful death.
No matter how complex your accident appears to be, we at Gavel Law Firm are eager to examine it. We know accident claims from the inside out. Call us and see how we can assist you.
What You May Be Entitled to in a Riverside Accident Claim
A car accident claim in Riverside, California may compensate you for various losses such as:
- Medical bills – Emergency services, diagnostic tests, treatments, surgeries, doctors’ fees, hospital bills, and more
- Rehabilitation costs – Includes physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and the like
- Pain and suffering – Though this is not a tangible cost, you may still be compensated for it with an appropriate monetary amount.
- Lost income – The wages or earnings you missed because of the accident
- Diminished earning capacity – Refers to your reduced ability to earn due to your lasting injury
- Mental/emotional distress – Examples are post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
If you lost a family member in the accident, you may be entitled to a wrongful death claim. This can potentially compensate you for funeral and burial costs, medical expenses related to the crash, loss of benefits, and loss of companionship.
The Most Important Things to Do After a Car Accident
Getting in a collision can be disorienting, but as much as possible, you need to stay calm, protect your well-being, and start to be proactive about your rights. Remember these four important steps to take right after a car crash:
- Get medical attention. Even if your injury feels minor, it’s important to have a medical professional assess your condition immediately. Accident survivors often don’t realize the full extent of their injuries.
- Document the scene. As you wait for first responders, take photos and videos of the accident scene, including your visible injuries, the damage to your car, and the surrounding area (skid marks, traffic signs, road barriers, and the like).
- Request a crash report. Police officers or highway patrol will ask you questions to compile a report about the accident. You may answer them with basic facts, or you may politely say you still don’t know what happened. Ask for a copy of the crash report, which may be helpful evidence later on.
- Call a car accident lawyer. An attorney’s guidance can protect you from mistakes that hurt your accident claim. It’s best to have a lawyer before you speak with insurance representatives, as insurers may use your statements against you. Your attorney can also advise you on your best next steps after your crash.
Riverside Car Accident FAQs
Who pays for injuries in a Riverside car crash?
In Riverside and the rest of California, the party who caused the crash is liable to pay for resulting injuries. This is called the “fault system” or “fault-based system.”
Most often, the liable party is a negligent motorist – for example, a drunk driver or someone who ran a red light. In some cases, however, another person or entity may be responsible, such as the manufacturer of a defective car part. You may also sue a public agency if they failed their responsibility to keep road users safe, such as with poorly designed roads.
To determine who should pay you for your particular car crash injuries, consult us at Gavel Law Firm. We’ll help you identify all parties who are liable for your losses, and assist you in pursuing maximum compensation from them.
Should I sue the at-fault driver in my Riverside collision?
You may sue the person who caused your Riverside car collision, especially if their insurance is not enough to cover your injuries and other losses. When deciding to file a personal injury lawsuit, it’s important to have the guidance of an experienced lawyer. Call attorney Bryan A. Mason at Gavel Law Firm.
What is the deadline for filing a car accident injury lawsuit in Riverside?
Under California’s statute of limitations, the general time limit to file a personal injury lawsuit in Riverside is two years from the date of injury. After two years, you may no longer have the right to file suit. Certain factors can extend or shorten this time limit, so it’s best to consult an injury lawyer without delay.
What if I’m partly to blame for my Riverside accident?
It may still be possible to claim injury compensation even if you believe you’re partially at fault in your Riverside accident. Avoid admitting any fault or even apologizing to the other party. Instead, contact Gavel Law Firm so we can evaluate your circumstances and determine your potential claim.
California follows a comparative negligence system in personal injury. This means the law will take into account all negligent parties in an accident. If you were found to be negligent as well, your compensation could be reduced based on how much you contributed to the crash. In this case, it’s even more crucial to have a lawyer to protect any lawful claim you may have.
How much is a Riverside car accident claim worth?
Successful Riverside car accident claims have a wide variety of case values. Some settle at thousands of dollars while others result in million-dollar verdicts. To know how much your particular claim is worth, your attorney must examine many factors such as your injury severity and your future outlook.
At Gavel Law Firm, we know how to maximize car injury claims by looking into every aspect of life affected by the accident. These include physical, financial, emotional, and even social angles. We want you to be “made whole” or get as close to it as possible, so we’ll commit our experience, knowledge, and diligence when you work with us.
Contact a Riverside Car Accident Attorney from Gavel Law Firm
Gavel Law Firm has unique claims experience that can be advantageous to you. We combine this tireless diligence at work and family-like kindness towards every client, resulting in legal service that’s sharp, efficient, yet compassionate. This is why Southern Californians trust Gavel Law Firm for their car accident case.
Your consultation is free, and you won’t have to pay us lawyer fees until we obtain compensation for you. Schedule your consultation. Call us at (951) 289-0202 today.